Navigating Our New World: Educating the Next Generation of Nurse Anesthetists
Educators instill patient-first values and inspire curiosity in the next generation of nurse anesthetists, who are entering the field at a time of historic challenges and change.
The Assembly of Didactic and Clinical Educators is the premier educator-to-educator learning event for nurse anesthetists. Join us online February 20-21, 2021, to elevate your teachings for this new world. Earn 8.75 Class A CE as you review pressing issues in education, learn best practices and acquire strategies for success. You’ll enjoy high-quality, transformative learning that your students will turn into real-world application.
- Program Administrators and Assistant Program Administrators
- Clinical Coordinators and Preceptors
- Educational Program Faculty
- Practice Owners/Partners
- SRNAs who are interested in education
Today’s SRNAs are entering the profession at a time unlike any other, and as educators, we must equip them to navigate these uncharted waters. ADCE will connect you with other instructors to learn from one another’s challenges and successes as we prepare the next generation of nurse anesthetists to shape the future of U.S. health care.
Saturday, February 20, 2021
08:00:AM - 08:30:AM CT
- Steve Sertich, MAE, CRNA, JD, Esquire
08:00:AM - 08:30:AM CT
- Howard Drews III, MSN, CRNA
08:00:AM - 08:30:AM CT
- Randall Moore, DNP, MBA, CRNA
08:45:AM - 09:15:AM CT
- Rebecca Lee, DNP, CRNA
- Erica Moore, DNP, CRNA
- Evaluate the recommendations put forth from the AANA CRNA Faculty Stabilization Task Force.
- Explore strategies to develop and support the CRNA faculty workforce for nurse anesthesia educational programs.
09:30:AM - 10:30:AM CT
- Courtney Brown, PhD, CRNA, CHSE
- Jorge Valdes, DNP, CRNA, APRN
- Michael Dosch, PhD, CRNA
- The attendee will list three activities that promote minority recruitment and/or retention within nurse anesthesia educational program.
- The attendee will compare the advantages and disadvantages of holistic application reviews and a centralized application service within a nurse anesthesia admissions process.
- The attendee will define the need for a national agenda and continued dialogue for best practices in regards to minority recruitment, retention, and faculty support to facilitate diversity and inclusion in nurse anesthesia educational programs.
10:45:AM - 11:45:AM CT
- Laura Bonanno, PhD, DNP, CRNA
- Identify the importance of communicating expectations for clinical performance to both students and clinical educators.
- Discuss the importance of accurate and timely clinical evaluation of student registered nurse anesthetists (SRNAs) and differentiate between borderline, unsatisfactory and unsafe clinical performance.
- Describe the decision making process of a nurse anesthesia program administrator when a student exhibits unsatisfactory behaviors or clinical performance and the guiding principles.
01:00:PM - 02:00:PM CT
- Holly Chandler, EdD, CRNA
- Effectively compare and contrast bullying and incivility in the clinical setting.
- Recognize behaviors which may be perceived as incivility or bullying by SRNAs in the clinical setting.
- Identify the effects incivility and bullying may have on SRNAs and describe the mitigating solutions presented.
02:15:PM - 03:15:PM CT
- Julia Feczko, DNP, CRNA
- Discuss current challenges facing DNP programs with regards to NCE pass rates.
- Describe anesthesia program quality improvement measures aimed at improving NCE pass rates.
- Identify pre-admission and anesthesia school variables that affect first time pass rates on the NCE.
03:30:PM - 04:30:PM CT
- Virginia Londahl-Ramsey, DNAP, CRNA, APRN, CHSE
- Lisa Osborne-Smith, PhD, CRNA
- Cindy Betron, DNP, CRNA, CHSE, CNE
- Identify various strategies and technologies utilized to implement nurse anesthesia simulation curriculum during the COVID-19 pandemic.
04:45:PM - 05:45:PM CT
- Rachel Davis, DNP, CRNA, CHSE
- Identify current issues facing nurse anesthesia programs.
Sunday, February 21, 2021
09:00:AM - 10:00:AM CT
- Rodrigo Garcia, MBA, MSN, APN, CRNA – Moderator
- Linda Stone, DNP, CRNA
- Catherine Horvath, DNP, CRNA, CHSE
- Jessica Morrow, BSN, RN, CCRN, SRNA
- Tracy Traut, MS, LCAC
- Faculty and students identify mental health resources for managing wellness challenges during a crisis.
- Discuss availability and benefits of peer support conversations for mental well-being and importance of knowing when to seek professional help.
*Session titles, speakers and times are subject to change.
This program has been prior approved by the American Association of Nurse Anesthetists for 8.75 Class A CE credits; Code Number 1040069; Expiration Date 2/21/2021. American Association of Nurse Anesthetists is accredited as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation. AANA is an approved provider by the California Board of Registered Nursing, CEP #10862.
More for Educators in Nurse Anesthesia
- ADCE 2021 Social Media Toolkit
- NurseAnesthesiology.com – The Content Hub for Nurse Anesthetists
- CRNA Knowledge Network
- AANA Membership Resources
- AANA SRNA Membership Resources